The Pickaway County District Public Library began as the Circleville Public Library on July 1, 1873, with a collection of 974 volumes. It became the Pickaway County District Public Library in 1949.
On January 6, 2003, the main library moved into its new facility, a former Ames Department Store, at 1160 N. Court Street, Circleville. The library had outgrown its home of 110 years, Memorial Hall, and its available 8,100 square feet. With a 2011 remodel, the new facility is approximately 36,000 square feet and includes three meeting rooms, 50 computers with Internet access, a teen center and adequate space for all collections.
The library’s first branch opened December 16, 1999, in Ashville. The family of the late Floyd E. Younkin worked with community leaders from the Teays Valley Civic Association to make this a reality. The 5,000-square-foot facility includes 12 public computers and a meeting room.
The Pickaway County District Public Library is dedicated to providing Pickaway County residents with access to innovative, useful library services that will allow them to learn throughout their lives; enjoy their recreation time; and become involved in their community.
Many library resources are available 24 hours a day from their Web site at www.pickawaylib.org